Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Confused

I am not sure exactly how to fix things... Not that Charis was ever the queen of relaxed, quiet feedings, however, now feeding seems to be more complicated than ever. She fusses before I feed her unless I am already "prepared" prior to her even thinking about eating. She fusses and kicks during her feeding and after usually. There are happy times when she does finish contentedly, but... I can't tell whether or not she is just teething or actually hungry. I am just hoping that my milk supply is OK. I feel that I am keeping diligent about not doing and doing those things suggested!?! I would appreciate any helpful hints or bits of wisdom from those moms who might have or are experiencing similar situations!!! Should I just begin Charis on cereal??? She is 5 months and 1 week, AND she grabs at everything we eat. (She has even pitched a small tantrum when we didn't give her some.)

Of course, the whole problem could be because my little girl is very opinionated, it seems, about everything. I am surprised she has not yet intimated her feelings about the outfits I put on her! :)

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Katie,

First of all, try to relax. Perhaps Charis is of an age where she doesn't want to sit still for long. I remember my children rooting like crazy when frustrated, when all they had to do was calm down, and eat. Try whispering to her as you begin to nurse.

And she is of a fine age to begin a little cereal if need be. My youngest child was the same way with nursing and grabbing for our food. (We also moved when she was very young, just as you have just done!) Seems they feel that things are different no matter how small they are.

I pray that things go better.

The Budget Mommy: said...

Emma started cereal at 5 months or so, and it got her back to sleeping through the night again. She could also very well be teething, and just simply being fussy. Have you tried giving her Gripe Water? If she has tummy upset or gassiness it would really really help.

j.j. said...

Anything is possible =) Isn't it frustrating trying to figure out what these little people want or need?
Are you trying to hold off on starting solids with her? If not, go ahead and try. If she hates it, you don't have to continue. Do you have a book or any other resource about baby food etc? If not, you can check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com - it might be helpful.
Gripe Water has been our friend at various stages. Also, Hyland's Teething Tablets are great if you do think she might be teething. (Lauren was teething at Charis' age and I did notice a big difference in her mood when I gave her the tablets regularly.)
Also, both my girls showed interest in food exactly as you have described Charis. Lauren started solids at 5 months and has been loving food ever since =)

Kelley said...

Greta sometimes, well most of the time, likes to kick her feet up on my shoulder while nursing. If she doesn't have socks on it can be quite painful as she grips with her toenails. I have no idea why she likes to do this but it is her "thing". If I nurse her lying down she has to kick her foot up on my stomach. Weird child.

Rebecca said...

Katie, Did you get my message? I sent you a message. :)
Anyway, as I mentioned- I don't know about solids at this age as I tend to hold off until much older- skipping the cereal stage completely.


Here's a great article on starting solids: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

This does sound like normal nursing behavior and probably doesn't mean anything is wrong with your supply! Also, the more anxious/stressed you are, the more anxious/stressed she's likely to be- so as hard as it is, try to relax! Nursing in a very dim and quiet room may help to sooth her, or nursing lying down! (Which always works for Will even if he's fidgety and distracted when we are sitting up.) I hope you figure out what going on soon and get some peaceful contented feedings again. :)

Elizabeth said...

Kate suffered from serious distraction around this age, but I don't know if Charis' frustration sounds like it stems from that. In any case, that phase for K lasted about 1 month, and then she went back to more normal nursing, although she was then able to do it in a shorter period of time. We also started solids around this time -- you'll never know how she'll like it until you try it!