Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Amusing?

This will be brief, but I thought that I would just mention that I have a biter on my hands, not just once, but many times over. I have heard that the first time usually so shocks the mother that they scream which in turn scares the "beegeebers" (OK... so maybe it is not a word!) out of the baby, and "bingo" all biting is thereafter terminated. This, however, does not seem to be the case with us. While vacuums, sneezing, sudden noises, sad music, and mommy's refusal to allow her hand to become completely numb while attempting to pacify a baby who loves holding my hand while I am driving and she is in the back seat (Wow! I almost beat out some of the Puritan's extended phrases :), my sudden screams seem not to phase Charis. I even tried flicking her lightly on the cheek and saying firmly, " NO, Charis; do not bite." While I waited in suspense worried that I had caused my precious little girl too much pain, she looks at me with one eyebrow cocked and then... smiles! Dear me! I am out of ideas.

Anyhow, enjoy the pictures of my little, ever-growing girl and have a wonderful day!!!


Yes, Charis thinks that this is a silly outfit too.


"Hey mum, wait a sec. I don't have any clothes on."


One more photo...

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness, she is sooooooooo cute in the photos!!!!!!!!! I am such a proud aunt:)
Okay, I have an idea (don't laugh and I sure hope she doesn't either), next time she nips/bites, SNEEZE. You already said that you know that scares her and hopefully she will connect the two - she bites and you do something you KNOW she does not like. Voila - no biting (at least I sure hope so)

Kelley said...

Greta has only bitten me a few times and it's usually as she's starting to fall asleep. I did read something in "The Baby Book" about pulling the baby towards if they bite which will cause them to open up their mouths and also delatch so they can breathe. Also, if the baby realizes they won't be able to breathe when they bite they'll be less likely to bite.

Good luck to you. I know how painful it is. Does Charis have any teeth yet?

j.j. said...

Katie, she looks so much older and also like she has grown a lot. Those cheeks are looking chubby!!! I love it.
What I don't love is a biting baby! Lauren has two bottom teeth and she has bitten me more than once. I usually smack her little cheek and firmly tell her "NO", but often that just produces an adoring smile.
Let us know if you find the magic cure!

Beth said...

I push my finger against their cheek just in front of the hinge of their jaw... it hurts a little, but not enough to injure them. They really hate it and stopped after a couple of times.

She is soooo precious Katie... are you working lots in the evenings? If not we have to get on Skype and talk soon. :)

Unknown said...

Here's a trick that worked on Meghan...might seem a little harsh to some. When she clamped down on our finger, we would just use it to brush the back of her throat. The automatic gag reflex overpowered any desire to bite. Only took 2 or 3 bites before that was a problem of the past.