Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Who's right!?!

Well, I went to the gym today despite the internal groanings of discouragement which whispered, "you need to rest; just stay in bed a little longer." Anyhow, I found a few of the comments somewhat amusing. As the weeks of pregnancy have turned to months (which are beginning to feel like years :), the bigger the eyes become of my fellow gym members. So, enjoy from first to last....

1) An acquaintance, Michael, who I usually attempt to hide from, commented that certain work-out machines I employed were just like "pushing" and that I really should just go home. This was after having exercised for a period of 3 min!?! Really! I honestly would have a serious complex by now after all of the times he rolls his eyes at me and tells me how large I have become! :) I just laugh at him. One would think that he has a degree in birthing babies and has had many himself. [You have to get the picture in your head of a big African American, who has had a stroke which causes him to look like he is strutting more than usual, shaved head, and not quite a handle bar mustache!] In no uncertain terms, Michael is confident that I will make my labor that much harder!!!

2) Just after that... a woman tells me how easy all of this exercise will make things... ( I am getting confused!)

3) A guy I don't know who apparently remembers me due to my weekly growth, tells me he gets more and more scared every time I show up in the weight room.

4) The last guy, again who seems to take notice of my size, says, "Noooo, you gotta be kiddin' me. There's no way you've grown that much. What'd you do; blow something up in there? You were small last week and now you are .... well, you must have stuck something in there! "
(Take into consideration the inner-city accent along with the slightly louder, let-the-whole-gym-know tone of voice!)

Anyhow, I was going to get a new photo and post it along with these comments, but didn't get a chance. So, you will never know... perhaps, I am really that much bigger this week!?! :)

8 comments:

Beth said...

People just have to have something to say. :P It's like touching our stomach. I just smile and go about my business. My midwife says being in good shape makes it easier so you decide. lol

The Budget Mommy: said...

Hey Katie! I have been lurking for quite some time now, and now I guess it's time to announce my presence! Most of what I have read says to keep working out. From personal experience, I babied myself way too much, and I am still struggling to lose the weight from Emma. So keep working out, and Lord willing your labor will be easier for it too!

K. Humby said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I am working on the firm belief that it will be helpful now, during, and after labor! If not... then I will know what to do next time! :)

Rachel said...

Okay, where are the encouraging people??? When I exercised at my gym, they were always so impressed. It went something like this, "Do you see her, she is so many weeks pregnant and still works out 3x a week on the elliptical trainer for a least 30 min!!!!" Aidan was my easiest recovery, so keep up the good work!!!!

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

Sorry, I had a glaring grammatical error - so I deleted my first comment. :-) Way To Go!

j.j. said...

Kudos to you and Rebecca for being so health conscious during a time when most women feel the freedom to let go of all forms of control in the areas of diet exercise! I'm afraid I myself might be in that sorry category a lot of the time! However, I'm trying to psych myself up for getting in shape (and trying to convince Liz to do it with me). I need a workout buddy/motivator!!

K. Humby said...

Hmm... sounds like a good plan, Jen. Liz would be a great workout partner. I have always sort of wanted a partner but never had the chance so... Go for it!!! It is definitely worth the effort. :)