Monday, September 10, 2007

Short and Encouraging!

Sean and I were able to attend an OPC church yesterday evening, and I was blessed to hear a sermon on divorce! Though it covered the ins and outs of divorce and when it is sanctioned, there was one point in particular that really encouraged me!!! The pastor was mentioning that two people who are believers are Biblically required to work things out when presented with an unseemly insurmountable difficulty! Moreover, he mentioned that really any issue that arises is really not just "his" or "her" area in life to fix, but "ours." He addressed the fact that problems do arise and that after marriage they become the other spouse's as well. If we acknowledge our "one-ness" in all things we are then able to look upon them in a much better light! For example, I might always leave my shoes lying around (which drives Sean crazy). He would not approach this as merely MY problem but OUR problem that we together must work out. From this perspective, Sean is then able to think more rationally and even have more patience, knowing that, though I am the one causing the mess under foot, he would not insist on perfection immediately from himself nor would he loose patience with himself... AND he might even see fit to condone a behaviour from himself if conceding that there really were more important things with which to deal! (Now I am sure that do much worse things that annoy him... but, you will just have to be content with this as an example. AND I am doing better... !!! )

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I never really thought about it that way - work it out together as the problem is not just yours but BOTH of yours!! It really would help us to be more patient with each other!!!