Thursday, July 19, 2007

~Cute and Somewhat Amazing~

Ok... So, I usually do not pass on stories unless I can verify their authenticity... However, this one does seem to come from a reliable source; thus, let us begin.

I was on a massage table attempting to receive some relief from a rather, terribly strained back muscle when the therapist announced that she had a funny story to recount, and that I would be
wise to learn from the event as I will have a child of my own with which to deal in the near future, DV. (by the way... I now can empathize 100% with those who use the phrase, "I put my back out." I simply could not understand prior to my own sufferings how one could do seemingly nothing injurious and then be flat on their back for days on end, finding that a trip to the bathroom was almost more than endurable.) Apparently, a close relative decided to take a trip to the Newport aquarium deeming their young son (5 or 6 yrs.) old enough to appreciate the animal life and etc. While in a viewing room for sharks and penguins (the exhibits being adjacent to one another), the relative/mother suddenly realized that her young son was nowhere to be found. She and her husband frantically scoured the area to no avail. Finally, when the whole aquarium had been locked down for 45 min. and the police were basically on their way, the little boy came ambling up with his hands in his pockets. The mother and father attempted to question the boy, but he refused to speak, would only look at the floor, and kept his little jacket zipped firmly up not wanting even to be touched. The parents eventually took him home promising to call the aquarium and authorities if the little boy revealed any further information once home. As soon as they got in the door (after the hour long trip home), the boy rushed upstairs, raced to the bathroom, and slammed the door. The parents then heard the shower turn on. At this point, the mother went rather frantic telling the father to break the door down as her little boy must have been molested and now felt dirty, which was why he was attempting to take a shower by himself. I am not sure exactly how the door was opened, but the parents were able to get in somehow to find their young son in the bath playing rather happily with his baby penguin! :) I can't remember exactly how the little boy explained himself, but it was something to the effect of look mommy, now I have a baby like in Happy Feet -- for those of you who have seen this film. Unfortunately for the little boy, "his baby" had to be returned to the aquarium instantly.

So... the moral of the story. Check your child carefully for any "accidentally" acquired items before leaving an aquarium, zoo, or other establishment of interest to your child. AND of course, keep your eye on them at all times!!!

6 comments:

Kelley said...

Well I think this may be an urban legend - see http://www.snopes.com/critters/farce/smuggled.asp

Beth said...

Actually, one of the 10 year olds who attends our church's Christian school took a penguin home from the Atlanta aquarium (sp?). They have pics to prove it too. lol

Kelley said...

I wonder how he got it out as I think the Penguin exhibit was completely walled off. Maybe they did that afterwards to keep other kids from "adopting" a cute little friend.

Beth said...

I have no idea how he got it, but his parents were so embaressed. He tucked the bird in his backpack. :)

K. Humby said...

hmm... I might have to agree with this "urban legend" thing. Surely not so many kids could have managed to take home a penguin!?!

Elizabeth said...

Funny story, though. I think urban legends must have their beginnings, right?